Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

"If the Rythymik was in with your Maggies?" ...

yes, I can't see any reason why I wouldn't (use subs with my IIIas) - apart from WAF!! :-))

And as to whether adding a sub is an OK compromise ... I think it's better than a compromise!

Sorry, I should rephrase that: adding a *pair* of subs is better than a compromise ... adding *a* sub is certainly a compromise! :-))

A pair of subs means they can sit next to/behind each Maggie so that in effect you now have two extended-range speakers. So imaging is not a problem! They also energise the room more optimally than 1 sub.

You can choose to run the Maggies full-range or you can roll them off with, say, a 12dB electrical slope at 50-80Hz (depending on the Maggies you have). Remember the bass panel has its own acoustic rolloff at low frequencies so you've really got an 18 or 24dB rolloff acting on the lower end.

With my active setup, I believe it's better to roll them off as:

1. It stops poor old Maggie having to extend herself into distortion-producing regions of the magnetic field, at the lower frequencies.

2. It "saves" the bass amp's power from being sucked away by the lowest frequencies - ie. it in effect gives a power boost to the rest of the bass panel.

3. Although I would be feeding the Maggies with a 12dB HP signal, this only affects my bass panels (as the mid and ribbon are driven by their own bandpass and HP XOs). So the much vaunted concept of "making the highs sound nasty" as a result of introducing a HP filter on the main speakers is a furphy, in an active setup.

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.