Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

It's possible to get a similar effect...

with just two speakers if you have the room and flexibility to play with diffusive treatment behind your listening position (and you have a fair amount of unobstructed space behind your chair). If you get it just right, with good recordings you'll sense (1) enhanced articulation of the soundstage's inner space that appears to extend the stage both laterally and fore-and-aft (2) and a better-defined, more fleshed-out (and better focused) sense of instrumental and vocal body, tonality, texture, and natural decay. The image remains ahead of you, but "speaker and wall invisibility" is enhanced, even with, in my case, Cardas-positioned 1.6 monoliths staring me in the face. It takes a fair amount of critical listening involving a lot of chair up-and-down until you get the diffusive placement and profile just right, but once you zero everything in, you realize just how much virtual reality you can muster out of two channels.

I suspect that's similar to what you're hearing with your rear speakers in play, assuming that your surround mode is phase-differentiating rather than replicating the output of the left and right fronts. And I wouldn't assume a "weakness" in your placement of your MG 12's. If anything, the difference in what you hear between two-channel and surround-on modes may simply--and no pun intended--reflect what's going on (or isn't) in the aft part of your room.

Jim
http://www.geocities.com/jimtranr/index.html

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.