Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: 3.6 +'s & -'s considering that

I think you will enjoy the 3.6R's for a long time. - Regarding the price, I think they are still considered a "best buy" in high-end audio.

Mine are in a room that is somewhat on the "dead" side acoustically, with carpets, drapes, bookcases, and an alcove to one side. (I haven't added any traps, panels, etc.) Perhaps because of these acoustical properties, I don't notice any excessive brightness or harshness, and, in fact, find that they are sometimes rather "laid back."

One thing you should realize is that the Maggies take several months to break-in and mellow out. (This is mentioned in the owners manual, in fact.) So, you may find that they sound bright and harsh initially. (Mine did.) - Not to worry, they will "improve with wear" over a six-month period. Another factor regarding the 3.6R's (even after they are broken in) is that they have a reputation of not opening up until the volume is cranked up a little. In other words, they are thought to be somewhat restrained at low volumes, more so than would be expected from the usual Fletcher-Munsen effect. YMMD, but that's my experience.

There is also a continuing debate as to whether you should use a sub with the 3.6R's. Frankly, you'll be considered more sophisticated and knowledgeable if you tell everyone that you don't use or need a sub, so if that's important, don't get one. However, I would point out that, if you do have a sub, you can listen to the Maggies with the sub ON or with it OFF, depending on your preferences regarding the particular recording. - I personally think a sub (run in parallel with the speakers) is very desirable with some recordings, and it adds realism to the overall listening experience. I would also note that both Stereophile and TAS thought the 3.6R's were lacking in bass response, Stereophile giving them a "Class A-limited bass extension" rating and TAS giving them an "Editors Choice" award with the understanding that they would be used with a sub.

In any event, enjoy your new Maggies.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 3.6 +'s & -'s considering that - Avocat 20:13:19 03/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.