Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: not so sure (it's perfectly relevant)

You have 1.6QRs, no? The question related to the bass output of MMGs. The bass the MMGs can produce is fantastic, but they just don't go that low and I don't think there is ANYTHING that can be done to correct that. I use a relatively small (10"), sealed subwoofer to fill out the bottom end and your tube preamp would impact the sound of that arrangement as well.

Can a subwoofer destroy the sound of a pair of Maggies? ABSOLUTELY. I have a big, sloppy Kilpsch subwoofer for home theater duties that I tried with my MMGs (playing music) and the results were not pleasant. My conclusion is that one MUST use a subwoofer with MMGs, but that sub should be selected and used carefully. My sub cost twice as much as the MMGs, but the combination is very good to my ears (and I don't think one can find a pair of speakers more UNDERpriced than a pair of MMGs (warts and all)).

-----

If I may add a bit of clarification to my previous post, the phenomenon of "slapping" occurs on a VERY SMALL collection of tracks (maybe five), but the first time I listened to Roger Waters' "Three Wishes" after swapping amps, it scared the hell out of me. It sounded incredible up until the moment it all went south, but I've been a little more cautious since that event.

I stand by my assessment. More power made my MMGs more engaging. When I moved my MMGs into the living room, they were being driven by a Sony DA90ES and I immediately noticed they had lost something. They were being driven by an old Yamaha amp in the bedroom. So, I picked up a used Acurus A200 and ran the front channel pre-outs through it and my MMGs had vigor again - more power made them more dynamic and it improved the bass somewhat as well.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: not so sure (it's perfectly relevant) - wazoo 05:40:37 03/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.