Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

3.6's Lots of pluses

I've not had 1.6's for comparison, so I can't address that. As far as pluses and minuses, the 3.6's are extremely revealing speakers. You will hear everything. That can be good or bad, depending on the quality of the system driving it and the source (and source material).

Bad CD's sound, well, bad!

Also every little tweak, tube change, contact enhancer, cable change, etc. you'll probably hear.

The only negative I've experienced (and learned to tame) is that in a smaller, highly reflective room, the tweeter can be quite bright. Once you have your room treatments dialed in to your satisfaction, t's just a matter of getting a bunch of resistors (I bought them in .1 ohm increments from 0.1 to 1.2 ohms for a total of around $20) and dialing in how much tweeter you want. Once you get the hang of this, there really is nothing objectionable.

But I would have to say overbearing tweeter brightness is what most people have found "objectionable", but the cure is treating the room and adding appropriate resistance.

The speakers absolutely sing with tubes, and I love the combo.

Hope that answers some of your questions, Jon. Happy hunting!
Jerry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.