Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Phase check for IIIAs? Please advise (wordy)

I believe my phase off between drivers. The soundstage is not as deep or wide as it has been in the past. Can you suggest ways to trouble shoot? I have the Stereophile test CDs 1,2,3, but even they do not clearly define in and out of phase to the degree that I believe the maggies need. For example, when I tested the phase on my bass panels, the dog's bark sounded like it was coming from between the speakers when it was in phase and outside when the phase was out. The same was true for the mid/treble section of my biamped set up.

Still the sound is a bit thin compared to what I believe it should be. I did the battery test to test the wiring. It was all correct. The mistake must be somewhere in my active crossover.

The active crossover is set to stock 500 hz and 300 with the stock slopes.

Here's the cofusing part: with my DBX Driverack 260 active crossover, I can reverse the phase of any channel. When I reverse the phase on the bass channels and do the dog test with the phase inverted in both channel, the dog still sounds like it is in correct places. Yes, I turn off the mid/treble when I am testing the bass. The Driverack has simple on/off switches for each channel.

Any ideas on hos to best set my phase? There must be something wrong somewhere.

I have tried many different crossover slopes and the stock sounds best to my ears at this time. Sometimes I'll slide the frequency point up or down as many of you have suggested. They all have their positives and negatives.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Phase check for IIIAs? Please advise (wordy) - Mike D 10:25:04 03/20/07 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.