Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Makeshift solder pot

There are two problems with that suggestion as I see it.

In the first place, why "extend" the wires? That isn't an ideal practice - much better to *replace* the wires (all the way to the connector block). It isn't difficult in the least to remove the push on spades and solder to the tabs as outlined by "ABliss". Just follow his suggestions to the letter and "lift" the panel runs off those tabs before soldering (see the photo in my first post of this thread). This is another concern with your proposal - wires conduct heat quite effectively, so if your technician solders extensions to the existing wires, he will likely damage some very expensive speakers.

Secondly, your post referenced Litz wire. In case you aren't aware of what makes it "Litz", each strand of wire is coated with enamel. You CANNOT solder that wire with conventional methods, hence the requirement of a solder pot. I didn't have one on hand when I made my speaker cables, so I went with the rig pictured above. It is a messy adventure (lots of skimming), but my results were excellent. I think I melted about $20-30 worth of WBT solder in the process. Remember, a bad solder joint is worse than a bad crimp, and Litz is "special".

You have received warnings from numerous individuals about being too cavilier with soldering inside those speakers. They are yours to do with as you see fit, but if you don't heed any of these warnings, I suggest you get yourself a big box of Kleenex.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.