Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

EAR/Yoshino 834T w/ Maggie 3.6’s

I’ve read of this brand mentioned with quads, but am surprised the reviewer finds a 100wpc integrated not only can, but does well with the 3.6’s. Perhaps I have just not heard enough integrated amps or this model in particular? Interesting review, here a snippet...

“Difficult speaker loads were not an issue for the 834T. It did fine with the MartinLogan Vista using the 4-Ohm taps. And it spent many happy hours driving my newly acquired Magnepan MG-3.6/R loudspeakers (again using the 4-Ohm taps). The Maggies are notoriously finicky about associated power amplifiers. There is probably only a handful of amplifiers on the planet that mate optimally with them. To my great delight, the 834T coaxed the best sound I’ve ever heard out of a pair of Maggies. The degree of synergy was absolutely amazing: tight bass, sweet nuanced mids, refined treble, and above all else an unrestrained kinetic delivery that immediately put me in touch with the music’s emotions. The soundstage projected was wide and stable with a convincing depth perspective. And while image palpability did not quite equal the best of tube amplification, it came reasonably close.

There has been much talk about the need for high-powered amplification and current drive in the context of the larger Maggies, but as long as I kept volume levels such that dynamic peaks were not outrageously loud (say around 95dB SPL), I was able to red line the 834T without signs of strain or distortion.”

Believe what your ears say - not hearsay.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - EAR/Yoshino 834T w/ Maggie 3.6’s - saltyflies 12:13:39 03/14/07 (15)

You can not post to an archived thread.