Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Here's another try...

The classic example is of a trumpet player when they hit that first blast is an example of an outgoing wave. IF it was all recorded and played back with the correct phase, your stereo would produce a duplicate outgoing wave. By reversing the position of your speakers, this would no longer be outgoing and the correction for that would be to also flip the red/black speaker cable legs on both speakers. Otherwise you have another listening variable there.
A better example would be a kick drum (especially since we are all planer people here). By listening to your Maggies' backsides, you would be hearing a kick drum with the petal towards the audience, instead of by the drummer's seat, so when he pounds on it, the wave moves away from the listener instead of towards him. OK, another one would be talking while breathing in instead of out - didn't I see that as a TV commercial lately?

I also understand what you are getting at with the "inverse square law" with more control on the magnet side, but to my thinking - and what do I know, a pair of Quad 63s live here with no magnets - this would only apply if there were two mylar diaphragms (and two sets of drive wires. Since the wires are glued to the panel, this is effectively one piece so the force would be the same on either side. If there were more force or control on the magnet pole side than on the plain side, the result would be a loosening or, in the extreme, tearing of the mylar away from the wire.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.