Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MMG OWNERS ,PREPARE TO BE AMAZED : APOGEE CALIPER CROSSOVER ADAPTED TO MMG

On your crossover, a couple of things...

Firstly, the woofer panel is a little over 5 ohms impedance and the Tweeter is ~3.8-4 ohms. These speakers are not the same as Apogees. Your crossover calculations are not accurate. That doesn't mean that everything follows exact calculations, but rather that your justification is incorrect.

Now, I think you are kind of on the right track. After testing different values, I ended up with:

30uF on high pass
2.5mH on lowpass inductor
33uF on lowpass shunt

The lowpass approximates a Bessel filter (using a low DCR inductor like Erse). I found the 30uF to sound better than lower crossover points. Your highpass is lowering and your low pass is rising. This may look better in simulations, but most simulators are based on flat frequency response from the drivers- the dip you see in a simulation wouldsimply attunates a rise in output at the crossover frequency in the tweeter section. I think if you do some measurements, you will see a rise in the midrange output(not flat).

Lowering the crossover point of the second generation has a number of benefits due to broader dispersion in the midrange and the ability of the 8 trace tweeter (essentially the same as the MG 12) to handle it. However, by raising the frequency of the lowpass, you will increase the overlap of the drivers, not only increasing output, but also increasing interactions, cancellations, and resonances on the diaphragm caused by two drivers playing the same frequencies on the same diaphragm that are not in a phase aligned crossover topology.

Please see the frequency response of the 1st gen MMG here:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/1199/donibbles.htm

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: MMG OWNERS ,PREPARE TO BE AMAZED : APOGEE CALIPER CROSSOVER ADAPTED TO MMG - lne937s 15:49:41 03/12/07 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.