Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Moving the speakers as you do does not harm the tweeters.

Regarding your question as to whether this speaker might have been partially damaged when my wife switched them on at full volume, we aren't sure, but I think it was the same speaker. - The tweeter in the same speaker went out again. Also, that incident occurred three or four years ago.

Re the possibility of my wife vacuuming the speakers, she doesn't. In fact, she doesn't vacuum anything in my listening room. - We do have a cat, but the cat has no interest whatsoever in high-rez sound or speakers. I have never seen her even looking at, much less clawing, my 3.6R's. (She spends the day taking cat-naps at various locations around the house.)

With respect to the possibility that my amp may be subject to clipping that I can't hear, since this is the first time in some seven years that I have had any problems with the speakers or the amp (other than the unfortunate incident in which my wife shot full power (750 watts per channel) to the Maggies), that doesn't seem likely. - The following includes excerpts from a review of the amp in Stereophile, including comments on the question of clipping:

According to Stereophile, in tests using a low-duty-cycle 1kHz toneburst, the overall distortion level for the amp into a 4-ohm load was very low. They [Stereophile] found the clipping characteristics to be quite "soft," with a relatively gradual increase in THD up to the 1% point, and at the extremes, they found it delivers 527W into 8 ohms "and a whopping 2825W into 1 ohm!" Re listening characteristics, they stated that the level of listening fatigue engendered by the amp was as low as any they had experienced with a solid state amp. - - TAS also rated the amp highly and awarded it one of their anual Editors' awards. - Again, it's possible, but if neither of the speakers blew due to clipping in the past 7 years, it seems statistically improbable that the amp would develop an "invisible" clipping problem now.

In any event, the speakers and amp seem to be working fine now, and I'm happy to be able to get back to the wonderful Maggie sound.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Moving the speakers as you do does not harm the tweeters. - Avocat 17:02:55 03/11/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.