Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: mine are vertical too

I'm the lunatic that has his MMGs mounted on mono-pole stands. People are certain that they flex like mad, but they are incorrect on that assertion. In any case, they aren't permanent - they "belong" to another pair of speakers! As I was completing their reconstruction (they started life as bases for industrial tables), I noticed that they would elevate my MMGs about 3" above my REL subwoofer.

I'd like to integrate the two into a hybrid of sorts - I'll need a second one for the other MMG and cheap they aren't (and they're about as common as hen's teeth on the used market). After mounting them on those stands I started thinking about how I could brace them. That's when I cut the traingular braces out of plywood and screwed things together.

What's the point of this ramble? My MMGs are locked in an absolute vertical orientation - and they are held quite rigidly, I might add! At the outset, I just wanted to experiment with having them raised and then things just kept evolving. The stands pivot which allows me to experiment with various degrees of toe angle without having to lift the speakers off the floor - did I mention my MMGs have put on some weight?

Now I'm ready for the grand rebuild with nice materials - gulp. As I'm no woodworker, I can only hope to approximate the level of craftsmanship PG's work illustrates - man those things look fantastic! I don't know if he realizes that he's probably initiated a revolution - look for lots more Maggies wearing hardwood frames.

I owe him and a few others a debt in that they have steered me away from making a major mistake in the execution of my next step. There are many wonderful people who share their immense knowledge in these threads and they all deserve thanks. This is a wonderful resource.

Hmmm, now I think the image is too small. It's hard to see what's actually going on in that picture - there's a war being waged between two bands.

"Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny" FZ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: mine are vertical too - wazoo 04:59:05 03/11/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.