Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

A Repeat Of An Earlier Post, But It Fits

I have just finished restoring a pair of Maggie MG-1.5/QRs. Bought them on ebay for $360 including shipping. They arrived in the original carton in good cosmetic condition except that one of the socks (Magnepan calls them underbags.) was torn in back. One of the speakers had the infamous Maggie buzz. Took them apart, did the Peter Gunn DAP repair, put new socks on them ($70 from Magneplaner, a steal), and put them back together. So I have about $430 in them. They look and sound wonderful.

I am driving them with a vintage Yamaha M-4 power amp. It is rated at 170 watts per channel into four ohms, but it actually clips at around 200 watts. It is in mint cosmetic condition and has a power transformer the size of a small loaf of bread. There are only two electrolytic capacitors in it, the main power supply filters. The rest of the capacitors are mylar and polystyrene. Bought it on ebay for $225 including shipping.

Finally I'm using a Yamaha CD changer that has a volume control on the remote to feed the power amp. I think I paid about $60 including shipping for it.

So what did I end up with for about $700? I've been involved with audio for 25 years, and this set-up sounds as good as anything I've ever heard. Frequency response is easily within +/- 3dB from 40Hz to as high as my mic goes, about 16kHz. On decent recordings, the speakers just disappear into the soundstage; the imaging is whatever was recorded, for better or worse. On my Edgar Winter "Frankenstein" test, I can just start to clip the amp without added harshness. With string quartets, I can clearly picture the location of each player. I find myself digging out recordings that I haven't listened to in years because everything sounds so good.

The 1.5s have been knocked for their crossover design, and, of course, the 1.6s, etc. are better in some respects. All I will say is both measurements and my hearing say that the 1.5s are wonderful and a real bargain.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A Repeat Of An Earlier Post, But It Fits - jbwebs 07:10:57 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.