Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Recently aquired REL B3 subwoofer - setup and postioning observations so far (comments welcome)

I demoed a B3 a few weeks ago and liked it but wanted a bit more since my room is rather large. So just last week I bought a B2 and now have about twenty hours on it. It seems to blend perfectly with my 3.6R Maggies. It's in a front corner parallel to the wall. About ten inches out from both walls, woofer facing forward. I'm using the spikes since I have thick carpet over concrete. My Maggies are about six feet off the front wall with their ribbons towards the center. Very slight tow-in, perhaps an inch. My room is 9 feet tall, 17 feet wide and the speakers are about two feet in from each side wall. The room is over thirty feet long and the sub is firing down it's length.

The B2 cross-over is set at A3 and the gain about half way. The phase is set to zero degrees. It's hooked up high level from my Pass Labs (differential) amplifier. The black lead is attached to the ground shell on an unused single-ended input jack (RCA) on the amp. My amp is connected via balanced cables to my preamp.

I've tested several different positions and settled on the configuration described above. I love this thing. There is so much more music happening down there in that bottom octave. Many of my old favorites sound better than ever before. The bottom end is so important. The REL is a real treat to listen to, it really let's my Maggies seem like true full-range speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Recently aquired REL B3 subwoofer - setup and postioning observations so far (comments welcome) - SHIF 22:26:03 03/05/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.