Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: 1 Maggie louder than the other...

I have a similar problem with the left channel but to a lesser degree, 1-2 db. I also have monoblocks and no balance control but my EC AW70 (AW220) amps have an attenuation control on the back so I was able to fix it with a slight lowering of the output of the left channel.

Have you swapped speakers left and right? I know the tweeter orientation will be different, but if one speaker is truly louder, then it should be noticeable when you swap them. If after you swap them the left channel is still louder, than its not the speakers.

I think there are a few possibilities but there are two you might want to consider. Your left wall, like mine, may be a little more lively and you may be getting more reflectivity from that side which might give the impression of greater loudness. Or...and don't laugh... maybe you have wax buildup in your right ear that is making the left speaker sound louder. Have others noticed this difference besides you?

Have you played test tones and used an spl meter (e.g. radioshack for around $39.95) to see if a difference really exists? Have you also switched outputs from your preamp? I have heard, for example, that some Rotel preamps had slight differences in output between the left and right channel.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.