Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

speaking of ESL-57's: I am getting close, I really am

So at this point, I've solved one problem but still seem to have another.

Saturday, I flipped the metal frame stands that came with my 57's on their sides (they're not quite cubic) and shimmed the back edge of each speaker about 3/4". This put the tweeter panels close enough to on-axis for my somewhat low-slung listening chair. N.B. these stands are "made in England" and were reportedly designed for the Quad.

Now, the "only" problem remaining is the midbass. It's rather wool-ily prominent, almost a bit resonant. I don't think these are supposed to sound so phat... are they? Now, these '57's are utterly stock, the back-damping stuff is still inside. I may still not have them far enough from the wall (only about 3 feet when I tried 'em Saturday) and/or far enough out of the corners (about 2 feet from side walls). On the other hand, perhaps they don't like my EICO HF-81... although experience dictates that this particular one, as I have re-capped it, is a bit "lean" sounding with most dynamic (PM) speakers I've used it with.

I am eagerly open to suggestions (even non-affirming ones)!

One of the stands in question may be glimpsed barely, in its default, "landscape" orientation, holding up a home-made (tho' not in MY home) BR cabinet loaded with a Fostex FE-207E FR driver. These are very nice sounding little rascals, too, BTW. Yes, that is one of the '57's cowering behind the Fostex, with one of my Bob Brines designed ML TQWT's and its little supertweeter way back in the corner behind everybody else. But I digress.

all the best,
mrh

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - speaking of ESL-57's: I am getting close, I really am - mhardy6647 08:05:40 03/05/07 (9)

You can not post to an archived thread.