Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

My Maggies are screwin' with my record collection!

This just keeps happening. For example tonight I was listening to a Richter recording of rachmaninoff 2nd piano concerto, one I have always admired.

But what I thought was exceptional about the performance, was a certain sharp, incisive exclamatory musical power that Richter would make at a few key points of the concerto.

I previously owned dynamic speakers, btw. I've had magnapan 12's for 2 months, plus a ML depth subwoofer strategically placed and tuned in.

Due to the openness of the maggies and their ability to let you listen to the "space" of different musical threads in a recording because of that open sound (that is as best I can put it right now), I realized tonight that, while Richter's sharp incisive statements were powerful, they were not necessarily preceded (in the 2 seconds or so leading to the declamations) really all that notable. In other words, the declamations were indeed strong, but the musical arguments immediately leading up to them (a couple bars at most for these cases) were not necessarily as lucid.

But this is not to say the performances now are bad for me. Instead I am getting another angle on this performance. I can now clearly hear how he is leading the orchestra in and out of various more lyrical and side moments of the piece. The performance is renewed in other words.

And so I am looking at my 3k cd and 3k lp collection (all kinds of music; I am a collector primarily) and saying: great, what DOES this stuff sound and make music like?

pcanis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - My Maggies are screwin' with my record collection! - pcanis 18:27:12 03/04/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.