Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan 3.5/R vs. ML Vista or Vantage

The CLS are essentially a crossoverless full range ESL but do have a "tone shaping" circuit before the high voltage transformer. I have driven my CLS with an Atmosphere M60 MK2.2 OTL with good results when actively crossed over at 100Hz. My CLS are the first series or "1's" with the 33ohm peak impedance. Your 339's may work with a CLS if applied the same way with your subs. The only problem is that you give up the ESL bass when crossing over at 100Hz. I prefered to run the CLS full range with a Classe CA-400 and fill in from the botton with the Depth sub crossed over at 30Hz. The M60's just did not have enough power full range for me at moderate levels with certian source material. I don't have any experience with the Sound Labs, but have been interested in the smaller R3 full range. There are rumors that ML is planning on releasing a "next generation" full range ESL, the CLX. If you are seriously interested in an ESL you may want to look into Quads. They may be a better match for your 339's. I think that you need at least 100 tube watts with the CLS full range.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Magnepan 3.5/R vs. ML Vista or Vantage - MrDerrick 15:37:22 03/04/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.