Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Are there photos of naked Maggies anywhere-- stand modification planned

I just picked up a pre-owned pair of MG12. I plan on doing some modifications to the x-o and the "frame", but don't really know what they look like w/o their sock and existing frame.

I've modified several dynamic speakers to stiffen the baffle and control resonances, etc. with good effect. I have an idea of what I want to do. I'm not sure a stand like the Myestand is optimal since it doesn't really stabilize/dampen the entirety of the sides of the Maggies.

Assuming the entirety of the lateral edges of the driver and frame are vibrating to a degree while music is playing, then stabilizing the Maggie with a single contact like the Myestand. All that is really accomplished is some degree of overall stabilization, but a change of the resonant frequency of the speaker, ie, visualizing the lateral edge as a guitar string- applying a single point of contact will change the pitch of the string.

A full circumferential frame would accomplish this stabilization similar to what Peter Gunn is working on. And using 4-5" wide material on all sides should increase the lower frequencies as would be the case in typical dynamic speakers.

Being fairly new to this page (and planars), I'm surprised that this hasn't been done already. Dynamic and horn speaker designers/users often tweak/modify their speakers. One of the most common is to brace the front and rear baffles and dampen the internal walls to reduce loss of energy via vibration of the baffles/cabinet.

There's lots of good info here!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Are there photos of naked Maggies anywhere-- stand modification planned - MMasztal 16:22:48 03/03/07 (36)

You can not post to an archived thread.