Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands

Having another bottle of the Pinotage (literally) under my belt, I will see your 2 cents and raise you.

Mass is the numerical expression of the interia of an object. Mass is not to be confused with weight, which is mass confounded with the local gravitational field.

Newton said: for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. He also said F = ma. Or, rearranging things a bit, for an equal force the mass of diaphragm * acceleration of diaphragm = mass of frame * acceleration of frame.

Didlling with the terms a bit more:

mass of diaphragm/mass of frame = acceleration of frame/acceleration of diaphragm.

or the acceleration imparted to the frame is proportional to the ratio of the mass of the diaphragm to the mass of the frame.

Skipped a few steps there.

Your intuition is reasonable on a macro level, in that the impulse on the speaker diaphragm does not move the speaker frame to any noticeable degree. This is why an un-Mye standed Magneplanar sounds pretty good.

But, and here is where we launch ourselves onto thin ice, the sort of nuances that clue the brain in on the nature of the sounds we hear -- or, more to the point, that let us notice the difference between reproduced sound, really nicely reproduced sound, and live sound, are very tiny in amplitude.

This is conjecture, but seems to fit with my experience.

The tiny reactive movements imparted to the frame of the speaker by the launching force of the driver drive the frame in the opposite direction, which I would expect would result in a deviation from the electrical waveform the diaphragm should be emulating. This, I believe, results in a small, but real, signal error. And since the diaphragm is attached to the frame, by the time the diaphragm reaches its excursion limit, the frame may still be moving in the opposite direction (due to its greater inertia), causing additional signal error as the receding frame pulls the diaphragm back faster than the driving voltage would require.

(Stand on a skateboard, hold heavy ball on a bungee cord. Throw the ball away from you. I would expect the skateboard to slide backward, then as the ball recoils, to slide forward again. And I don't expect the ball to travel as far as one would expect if standing on firm ground.)(Gravity makes this experiment hard)

This is all my thinking (or maybe the wine's thinking) applied to transient behavior. Steady state behavior will show different types of errors (like panel resonances) but I am not sure those errors are quite as important in terms of explaining the aural effect of upgrading the stands. (I say this because my experience with the changes wrought by swapping interconnects mimics what I hear changing the speaker stands. It seems to me the errors introduced by wire are likely to be of the "taking tiny amounts of energy out" behavior rather than the introduction of some sort of resonant behavior)

V/R

r. Coder

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Mye Sound MG-3.6/R Speaker Stands - roninCoder 14:32:50 01/20/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.