Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Look at the amp design and support.

All tubes are microphonic to some degree, so it is possible that your tube amps are suffering from acoustic feedback through the tubes themselves. However, even solid-state amps can have a similar problem from flexing of the chassis where it supports the power transformer. I had an InnerSound ESL-300 amp that had this problem.

The power transformer is mounted on the bottom plate, which is sheet steel supported only at the edges. The transformer is quite heavy, and would bounce up and down like a Sumo wrestler on a trampoline. I discovered this by accident. I had the amp on the floor and thumped the top of it while holding my other hand on the floor. I noticed a pronounced and extended flexing in the (suspended) floor next to the amp in response to the thump. The Bryston amp I also had at the time did not do this. My fix was to remove the stock feet from the InnerSound amp and support it on a thick butcher-block cutting board with a layer of Deflex rubber to cushion the amp bottom plate. The MG-20 bass clarity and extension improved with this change.

Look carefully at how the power transformer is supported in your amp, and how the amp is supported. Any flexibility in the rack, the amp feet, or the amp chassis metal that supports the transformer can cause your problem. Tube microphonics will only make it worse.

That said, you will likely benefit from the ZEROs. Maggies need amps with very low output impedance to damp their internal resonances, and the primary benefit of the ZEROs will be to lower the apparent output impedance of your amp. I can't say whether the Mye stands will give more direct benefit for your immediate problem. If the problem is in the amp, then making the speakers more coherent may make the problem seem worse.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Look at the amp design and support. - Al Sekela 10:33:27 12/18/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.