Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Yes, but....

"You will notice that the crossover projects typically use acrylic boxes..." Yes, and if you read most articles which say why, it's because the person did not have the ability to make it out of anything else. Acrylic is readily available and requires nothing but glue and can be made quickly. That's why it gets used. I have never read a review where the person said he made boxes out of various materials and compared them and the acrylic was best. I also doubt it would be.

"acrylic is less resonant than almost any wood." And this is good why? Magnepans more than any speaker can be said to be musical instruments themselves. You cannot stop the resonance of a musical instrument, nor would you want to. It's that resonance that makes it so wonderful. That's why they make musical instruments out of wood, not metal, and not acrylic either. I think it pays bigger dividends trying to reach a harmony with the resonances rather than trying to eliminate something you have no hope of eliminating. It's like tuning a room, you want to make the resonances work, not eliminate them. Going down that road almost always ends in sterility of sound.

Stereos reach their magic ideal when all the components reach a zen like "one-ness", when the gear, cables, speakers and room act as a whole. The closer they come to this, the greater they become. If we treat one aspect like some cancer than needs to be removed, we'll wind up heading in the wrong direction and we'll never reach Xanadu.

It's all about the music...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.