Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Having played with a variety of treatment configurations...

in this room, I obtained the best overall combination of spatial presentation, frequency balance, retention of a focused "phantom center", transient snap, and perception of musical flow by keeping absorption a discreet distance from the panels and, as the diagram indicates, facing the diffusor section of each trap into the room.

Going fully absorptive (by turning the diffusor side to the wall) with any of the traps in some cases gave a slightly greater illusion of depth but at the expense of performance "liveness" (e.g., in the rendition of spatial "air"). And placing traps (even with the diffusor side out) about every three feet along the front wall (as well as along the side walls between the front wall and the speaker plane) turned out to be too many, too much.

What I've found along the way is that randomizing (diffusing) rather than killing (fully absorbing) reflections yields--within the boundaries imposed by engineering and producing decisions--a more realistic illusion of a performance in space...at least under the listening conditions that apply in my room. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a "rule", but I'd suggest it as an approach worth trying.

Jim
http://www.geocities.com/jimtranr/index.html

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Having played with a variety of treatment configurations... - Jim Treanor 22:58:59 12/14/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.