Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Maggie & acoustic treatment guidance.

My room (14 x 20) is relatively "dim" acoustically (opposite of "bright"), in that it is carpeted, there are drapes on portions of the front and side walls, etc. Bookcases extend along most of the rear, front, and portions of the side walls. The sound was somewhat laid back. Instead of adding absorbing material, I added reflective material, specifically, smooth-surfaced wood flooring layed on the carpet in areas in front of the speakers (3.6R's). The flooring extends about four feet from the front of the speakers toward the listening area. This may sound heretical, in that the usual recommendation seems to be to dampen the the first reflective surfaces. But in this case, it seems to improve the sound, making it brighter and more dynamic. Obviously, the extent of reflective surfaced area can be adjusted by using more or less of the flooring material (strips of .25-inch thick composite flooring). Because of WAF's, I normally pick up the flooring and store it behind the speakers when I'm not listening critically.

YMMD, but in this case, it seems to improve the sound substantially.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.