Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: ESL-57 Bass Panel Degradation - Workaround

I fully agree...I use nylon bolts, and have also had no problems. The speakers run quiet, and charge up very quickly too. Might just be because they are newly rebuilt, but removing a discharge path can't hurt...and I suspect it helps (though I cannot prove that).

The One Thing Audio site mentions how they look to later Quad esl designs to establish how the 57 might have been optimised, had Quad chosen to change their manufacturing process. They mention nylon, which now seems an obvious choice, although it was not originally available. A bit expensive, but worthwhile, I think.

My one concern initially was that it would not be possible to tighten the bolts enough, but happily that was not the case.

Back to the point about contamination / conductive path, I thought that Quad simply did not apply the conductive material around the bolts? Can't remember where I got that idea from, might just have been from looking at panels with very flaky gray paint. If that is the case, couldn't the area around the bolts simply be stripped back (ie a circular patch around the bolt) then sprayed with anti corona dope? But again, I'd recommend anyone rebuilding to go for Nylon. Maybe the initial cost is offset against not having to spend time stripping the panels back, and re-coating / painting them.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: ESL-57 Bass Panel Degradation - Workaround - Pete 18:39:06 12/13/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.