Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Angela Hewitt Live

"I HAVE hear Ms. Hewitt live, and from three feet away (when I warked at Ottawa's National Arts Centre, I found her rehearsing in the building's reception Salon). I've had the same pleasure with Ashkenazy, Serkin (Rudolph), Kimura Parker, Josselson, and many others"

Good for you, I am willing to wager that all those times you heard them, you also SAW them playing.

"Microphones "hear" very differently from people; they are far more sensitive to near field than far field sounds, and the panorama of from where they "hear" is different.Place one 15th row center at a piano recital and all that would come through a mike is a low distant rumble."

The big problem with your commentary here is that in documented controlled tests, i.e. without a priori knowledge the test subjects could not reliably distinguish live from recorded. I imagine that large ensembles will probably be harder to conceal in this manner, but solo instruments and small ensembles are another matter, it is been done and documented.

"No need to worry about the live vs. recorded difference, since I've never seen a cat, dog or child in the least bit fooled by any sound coming from a box. "

As Richard Greene is fond of saying, have you spoken to the cat or dog to know whether they are fooled by sound coming from a box. As for kids, it is another matter, Disney employ those tricks in their theme parks all the time for kicks, how they use a blind fold i.e. take away apriori knowledge. In summary, your commentary is purely anecdotal, live vs. recorded is a settled matter.

Music making the painting, recording it the photograph

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Angela Hewitt Live - theaudiohobby 16:28:52 12/10/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.