Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: All of it. MaggieLover's post below summarizes the issues.

I agree with all your points. The speaker placement direction I gave him were. of course, roughly based on the Cardas formula for dipoles.

One further comment. While the treble and bass may or may not be better in his room with the 3.6's, the likelyhood that the soundstaging will be improved due to placement issues and reflective walls is fairly slim. For me these speakers are all about soundtaging, especially in the 3rd dimension. If one is not prepared to plan for, and make the effort necessary to get the best from these speakers, the end result may be ultimately unsatisfying.

I know someone who has $10,000 a pair tower speakers who has to keep them shoved near the corners of the rear and side walls. When he heard my Maggies, he loved the sound and said he would get them instead, but, they would occupy the same locations as the towers. I talked him out of it, and instead set up a little experiment in his room. I brought my Paradigm Studio 20's version 1 and stands to his home. I set them up for near field listening, moving his listening position away from the wall. Voila! Although you can't compare the Paradigm's to his speakers, the overall integrated sound I was able to give him was ultimately more satisfying, i.e a wide and deep soundstage.

Not enough people realize the impact a room can have, and yet they spend megabucks on systems which will ultimately not provide any more satisfaction than a much more modest system.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.