Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Biamp 3.6R's with Gallo 3SA sub amp?

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Yes, I have tried that exact combination using my Gallo Reference bass amp (which I got for my Gallo Ref 3.1 speakers) with my Magnepan 3.6R's. I used it on the low inputs on the external stock crossovers. Up top I used my Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 integrated. It sounded pretty good but not great. I think the problem was that the Gallo just couldn't keep up with the MF amp. The bass sounded slightly "slurred" compared to the rest of the frequency range. I actually thought things sounded much tighter using the MF alone with a bi-wire hookup. The Tri-Vista has oodles of current and puts out 350wpc into 8 ohms and 600wpc into 4 (i.e. magnepans). It drives the maggies with great gusto. The Gallo amp is very good though, and it is also extremely flexible allowing full-range or bass-only (crossover limited) output. Depending on what amp you would be using up top it could be a more synergistic match.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Biamp 3.6R's with Gallo 3SA sub amp? - knewsome 14:29:22 12/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.