Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Thanks for the advise. Do you feel the 3.6 is a better option?

I'll put it more bluntly than I did before. Based on the picture you submitted, its very unlikely you're getting the best possible results from the 1.6s you already have the way they're setup. It's further unlikely the 3.6s will give their best in the same positions. You'll hear a difference. The bass may go deeper, or it may not, the highs may sound better, or worse due to the highly reflective rear and side wall.

In a less than ideal room setup, throwing in a higher end model of a competent speaker brand does always result in improved sound. You might find the lower end speaker, (in this case the 1.6s) works better.

The 3.6s are very revealing of electronics as well as recordings. You will hear recording flaws you never heard before, ticks, rumbling, tonal problems, miking problems. Its amazing.

I and others have urged you to listen to the 3.6's in your own room first. But I have a further suggestion. While I know the WAF will limit permanent placement, have you tried moving the Maggies out from the walls? Bring them forward towards your listening position so they're around 60" from the rear wall. make sure the center of the woofer panel is around 43" from the nearest side wall if you have 8' ceilings. The tweeters should be on the outside edge. Toe in the speakers so the tweeters point somewhere past your seating position. and finally move you seating position away from the wall a couple of feet more then currently and make sure your sitting dead center between the speakers. Then listen! At this point, start moving the speakers in,out, left and right 1-2 inches at a time to find the best postion. When you find it, you'll know. The highly reflective rear and side wall are a whole other issue, and will definitely impact the sound. The Maggies are light. If they are on stock stands they can be moved whenever you want more than background listening.

If you've tried all this and it failed to work for you, fine. But if not, I wouldn't even think about upgrading to the 3.6s until I did.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks for the advise. Do you feel the 3.6 is a better option? - MaggieLover 07:36:15 12/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.