Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: MMG-W vs Standard Speakers

I own both the MMGs and (used to) own the Studio 20s, upgraded to Studio 60s. Each has it's own advantages and faults. I prefer Paradigm for HT, maggies for stereo music. But a lot of my decision had to do with my present HT room, a 5.1 maggie system just wouldn't of fit.

Ask yourself what is more important, the finesse and detail of the MMG, or added bass and dynamics of the 20s. What center speaker are you going to use? Paradigm centers are excellent (I use the CC570). No experience with Magnepan centers. A better setup would be three identical speakers across the front. Can you do this with MMGs?

Properly setup, the MMGs image much better in my room than the 20s did, but only if they were pulled way out into the room. But the sweet spot is much smaller. Contrary to what you might think, the Studio 20s weren't the easiest to place either, I first had a horrid mid bass boom, until I found the right spot for them (the larger 60s were actually easier in this respect.)

Then again, I'm not sure how important imaging is, in a 3 .1 HT setup. What is more important is how well the center matches up with the L/Rs. Now, if you don't have a larger listening area to cover, I would think a better deal would be a 2.1 system, running a "phantom" center. The money you save on not buying a center, will buy you better L/Rs, like the MG12s. One thing to consider is the MMGs are very light, you could store them up against the wall when not in use, pull them out when needed.

You will need a more powerful amp to drive the magnepans, but you will have to spring for speaker stands for the 20s (unless you do the bookshelf thing).

Try to get them both in your room at the same time, you will find they are more different than comparable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: MMG-W vs Standard Speakers - johnvb 18:58:32 12/06/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.