Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: What to look for when buying a pair of ESL-57s

Hello,

The age difference of the panels could have quite a marked impact...it's documented on the one thing audio site that that the panels performance deteriorates gradually for a few years initially (losing the diaphragm coating, I think). That said, I have heard a non-matched pair that definitely had treble panels of widely differing vintages that still sounded pretty good in a stereo set.

If you can make a visual inspection with grilles off, definitely check closely for signs of arcing on treble panels...one arced treble panel out of the pair would make for a big difference in output.

A severely leaky panel (or set of panels) could drain the EHT a lot, and cause some loss of output...in that case you'd hear some funny noises rather than the silence described in another earlier post.

It is possible that there is a weak-ish EHT cascade on one speaker, which would be relatively easy (and cheap) to fix. But in my experience leaky bass panels and weak EHT cascades often go hand in hand (I guess the EHT cascade is worked that much harder by a leaky set of panels).

Probably best to go for a matching pair that meet the criteria set out by Dr Quad, unless you can get them cheap enough to make it worthwhile having them rebuilt OR if you fancy rebuilding them yourself. If you think about rebuilding yourself there is plenty of info around, but do not underestimate the amount of time it takes to get to grips with everything, and then to put it into practise successfully.

Hope that is helpful, good luck! 57's are definitely worth the effort.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.