Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Thanks Neolith for the reality check...

It's too easy to become consumed with the nuances of tweaking our systems sometimes to step back for a reality check and hear a good live performance. It was interesting to hear the similarities and differences between your system's performance vs. a live performance.

I had a similar experience recently hearing the St. Louis Symphony and Chorus perform Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms and several other pieces included a wonderful Messiaen piece. I was bowled over by the tremendous dynamics produced by the Symphony and full chorus at full volume--something my system could never recreate. Likewise, every time I hear the symphony, I'm amazed at how smooth and clear everything sounds yet its never bright, shrill or harsh sounding. Sitting in the balcony, the sound totally surrounds you and envelopes you due to the hall acoustics. Again something difficult to recreate at home. These are some goals I've been working toward in my system and continue to get closer to but I know I will never get there. On the other hand, I'm pleased with my system's sound within the parameters of home audio systems. For the reproduction of acoustic instruments, I find maggies hard to beat in terms of a realistic reproduction of the texture, timbre, size and the materials involved in how these instruments make sounds. I can easily hear the wood in a stand up bass or acoustic guitar which I like a lot.

Nothing beats a good live performance, however, thank God (or we'd all be in trouble).
steve

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Thanks Neolith for the reality check... - stevenk 12:52:00 12/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.