Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Zobels on Maggie 20.1 redux

This was posted below, but it may have been to late to catch my responders. So here it is again. There's a "ping, Al Sekela" at the end of it.

I agree that if the Maggies have a pretty much straight impedance curve, a Zobel might not be appropriate. But I thought I saw some impedance curves that were not straight, but actually fairly lumpy.
Here's how I understand the problem. A normal impedance curve for a regular cone, voice-coiled woofer, would show a sharp rise and fall at the resonance point, then a rising impedance starting later. A classic Zobel, RLC combo could be used to make the impedance curve pretty flat, easing difficulties for the amplifier and and the crossover network. Some speaker designers swear by the Zobel.

But let's say the Maggie's curve doesn't look like the woofer's curve, but has some other arrangement of unevenness.For the portion of the curve where the impedance rises with frequency, the Maggie is acting like an inductor; for the portion of the curve where the impedance falls with frequency, the Maggie is acting like a capacitor. Both conditions may be fixable with a compensating RLC network, perhaps not a classic Zobel, but something. If the lumps and bumps are severe enough, the network may be worth it. Otherwise, no. Has anyone actually done an impedance curve on each driver? I may try to do it myself, but it is kind of a pain.

Al Sekela, I believe I understand your point about how the big inductor in the Maggie x-over buffers the out of band resonances of the woofer panel from the control of the amplifier. Sounds like it lessens the damping factor at those points. I'd like to try your mod. Could you provide the circuit and the values? I used your choke mod/tweak for the tweeters to great effect.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Zobels on Maggie 20.1 redux - throwback 15:28:41 12/01/06 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.