Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: SS Vs.Tube Xover

Hi Alex:

Well, IMHO the signatures are similar but YMMV!! Some folks may hear a lot more of a difference than I between these 2 units. And, to tell you the truth, sometimes I prefer the XM-26 and sometimes I prefer the XM-9, it depends on the source material!!

I had Tympani 1Ds back in the 1970s and I used big (ARC) solid state amps to drive them. I also had Tympani IVas in the 1980s, again using big solid state (Spectral) amps. I passively biamped the T-IVas but never tried biamping with the T-1Ds.

I don't think using the XM-26 would "spoil" your SS amp chain though. Given the bass slam and impact you can get out of Tymps, I would always lean toward using SS amps for the bass panels. The mid/highs might sound fine with either tube or SS amps. You would have to experiment with the level settings if you use different amps for bass and mid/high panels though!! And, you will have to order the XM-44/XM-126 filter boards from Marchand with the proper slopes and crossover frequencies for the T-1D-- I don't remember what these were but they were listed in the owners manual I believe.

Good luck, I'd love to hear the T-1Ds again!! In fact I toyed with buying another pair before I settled on the MG-IIIa-- space considerations were the big reason as usual!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: SS Vs.Tube Xover - kman9@cox.net 23:51:49 11/27/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.