Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Magnepan MMG

I've never owned a pair of MMGs, however I still have my SMGa's from 1986 in my basement system and MG1.6 QR in my main system.

Although they'll play anything :), Maggies are generally at their best on classical, small ensemble, jazz and vocals. Like any other speaker, you should try to audtion before you buy, but with a 60 day money back guaranty, you don't have much to lose. The overall musical picture a planar speaker provides is very different than a dynamic box speaker. Some people do not care from this type of presentation.

Maggies need to be broken in, so they won't sound their best out of the box. They also need space around them. At least 3-4 feet from the rear wall and 2 1/2 feet from the side walls. For the best imaging and soundstaging, these speakers have a relatively small sweet spot. Although they'll sound 'nice' from anywhere in your room, they sound best in their sweet spot. If you search this site there are a number of set up procedures people go through to get the best from these speakers.

Set up at their best in a room that complments them, Maggies will display a tall, wide and deep soundstage, with the images extending to the side walls and beyond. On well miked recordings there is a stong sense of the ensemble in a 3 dimentional space in from of you.

Although its the baby Maggie, the MMG has a very credible amount of bass. I'm not sure how well it will integrate with your sub, or if the sub will have a negative impact on the soundstage. Perhaps others can comment.

Without knowing much about your room and where you will place them, its hard to be sure if you'll like them. But given your musical tastes and the experience with an SMGa, I'd say go gfor it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.