Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Room size questions for 1.6 owners

You didn't give other particulars regarding the size and makeup of your room. The side wall placement is only one parameter.

My dedicated listening (ex-family room) is 13 x 19, however, it opens directly into my kitchen which is up two steps. The ceiling also steps up. Consequently the whole space is 35 feet long and 13 feet wide.

My Maggie 1.6s are 59" from the rear wall which has a brick fireplace in the middle surrounded by a tall bookcase on either side. I have a few sonex foam pieces against the brick in the midline between the speakers covering an areas 2' wide and around 5' high.

As per cardas, the center of the woofer panels are located around 43" from the side wall which is around 33" from the speaker edge to the wall. There is approximately 59" between the speakers. When seated my ears are approximated 120 inches from the midline between the speakers, or around twice the distance between the speakers.

The tweeters are on the outside and the speakers are toed in around 3-4 degrees. The Maggies are on Mye stands and are tilted forward very slightly,(not backwards) by a couple of degrees.

In that position, I have a very wide and deep soundstage. On many albums the soundstage extends to and often past the side walls. On some albums, the sound seems to wraps around the wall creating almost a heqad phone experience. For those albums, I think a wider room with more space between the speakers edges and the walls would eliminate that effect.

In general though, depending on the rest of your room and speaker placement, you should be able to derive a lot of plasure from these speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Room size questions for 1.6 owners - MaggieLover 11:49:07 11/24/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.