Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Maggies and active crossovers

"Ultimately, the shape of the electrical slopes driving the transducers produces the final output."

You need to keep in mind the acoustic output at the listening position. While the impedance may be flat, acoustic output is often not flat in the crossover region. If you look at the standard crossovers (particularly 2 ways), from an electrical standpoint, there would be a significant dip in the crossover region. However, this dip disappears at the listening position due to the acoustic output of the drivers. Creating flat frequency response either requires adjusting the crossover slopes or equalization (which would essentially accomplish the same thing- reducing output in the crossover region).

I am emphasizing "at the listening position" because of the dispersion characteristics of the panels, the dipole configuration and the fact that they tend to have significantly different response when close mic’ed.

When I started doing passive DIY crossovers, I didn't take output into consideration (just impedance curves) and they often sounded horrible. It took a lot of trial and error to figure out what I was doing and get them right.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.