Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Xover frequency for biamped Quad ESL 57s?

1. I agree with Dr. Quad. A bit lower might be in order, but this will largely be determined by your room and your tastes. When I was running stacked ESLs I crossed over around 40-50Hz.

2. You will need to use the Gradient crossover for the subs since the contour is required to make the dipole nature of the sub work correctly. Scrap the hi-pass section; it is a sonic nightmare.

I would not use any active filter on the Quad. Instead, insert a series capacitor on the input of the amp running the Quad. You will need to invert the speaker leads on the either the Quads or Gradients to maintain the correct phase thru the crossover point. The Gradient low-pass filter is 12dB/octave. The series cap would be 6dB/octave.

3. The stock Gradient crossover point is 115Hz as I recall. Higher would be better IMO, but the low pass filter is fixed. Set the high pass filter on the Quad at 115Hz.

Any active crossover will work to drive the Gradient as long as you can provide a 6dB/octave boost to the low pass filter. This compensates for the dipole cancellation effects and maintains flat frequency response on the sub. Given the nature of the ESL63 I would prefer to crossover higher than the Gradient 115Hz. More like 150-200Hz. Again, depends on your room and your tastes. I find the mid-upper bass region of the ESL63 to be on the thin side and a bit more boost in this region is in order IMO.

Let us know the results of the comparison between the stacked ESLs and the Gradient/ESL63.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Xover frequency for biamped Quad ESL 57s? - kentaja@yahoo.com 15:28:03 11/19/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.