Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Maggie 20.1 or SoundLab A2/M3 for small room?

I think you are on the right track in terms of the speakers that have caught your attention. The speakers are the most important part of the system AFTER the room.

In terms of speakers, Maggies and Soundlabs are excellent speakers; and Quad 57s might also be a consideration.

Personally, while I like Maggies a lot, Soundlabs have the potential to be the most accurate transducers I've heard. I've heard the 3s, 2s, and 1s, as well as the 3.6s. The U-1s are perhaps the best speakers I've ever heard - in 30 years of listening to music reproduced by hifi systems.

Having said all that, once you get to a certain (high end) level the room becomes the most important factor in the ability to accurately reproduce sound. If you want a system that can accurately produce a full spectrum of sound (from roughly 20 or 30 Hz to roughly 20 KHz) and you want a system that can reproduce good imaging (depth, width, and height) with high definition then you will want excellent equipment but you will need a room that doesn't negate the accurate reproduction of sound and that doesn't improperly accentuate any sounds.

I believe that much of what constitutes a good room (length, width, height, shape, and treatments) can be analytically determined but at the end of the day the only way to know if you have the room and the system dialed-in is to hear the particular combination of equipment and room acoustics.

My guess is that the room you describe is perhaps a bit small and possibly not quite the right ratio (of length, width, and height?) to yield the optimium sound. Having said that, there is often a way where there is a will.

Having said all that about rooms (and I'd urge you not to underestimate the impact of the room acoustics), I think you will find that Sounds Lab 3s are very good but that the 2s are even better; but I'd question whether you will feel comfortable with the 2s (and maybe even the 3s) in the room you describe (the speakers will be very dominating visually). If it is just a room for you to listen it might work but non-audiophile friends will think/know you have gone off the deep end when they see you sit in the one sweet spot with speakers of such size in a room of such size.

I don't want to disuade you or persuade you, I'm just sharing some thoughts for your consideration. When/if you get it all dialed in you might find it's pretty enjoyable, but I think it will cost you a fair amount of time, effort, money, and space.

PS, we haven't begun to discuss what kind of amps/electronics it will take to make such speakers perform to their potential - get ready for some more $ and maybe some tube maintenance and heat.

Let us know what you find.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Maggie 20.1 or SoundLab A2/M3 for small room? - Yada 21:18:29 11/18/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.