Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: I think I answered my own question...

Your goal is to have the bass and treble in correct (+) polarity and the mid in reverse (-) polarity. IME it is better to have the bass in + polarity which is what you also found. If I understand you correctly at this point the mid and treble are in reverse polarity which is what you want (mid + and treble -). However, you may find it advantageous now to reverse the speaker connection to the mid-treble thus making the mid (-) and the treble (+). The result will be (+), (-), (+) which is where you were before all the swapping.

It is important that the mid and treble have reverse polarity because the mid-treble crossover (low and high pass) are 2nd order. The low pass and high pass 2nd order filters are 180 degrees out-of-phase and thus will cancel creating a big sonic hole at crossover point. By wiring them with reverse polarity, you end up with the phase angle being zero - this is called phase aligned or phase corrected.

This polarity stuff gives me a headache.

I may be an egoist but at least I don't talk about other people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.