Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: I think I answered my own question...

If you are actively biamping and simulating the original crossover (3rd order low pass to the bass and 2nd order high pass to the mid-treble) then I suggest keeping the wires to the tweeter as is thus maintaining it's correct (+) polarity and then reverse the wires to the bass and mid. This will then put the bass in (+) phase and the mid in (-)phase. I suggest this because 1) I tend to be compulsive 2) you can then plug the speaker wires in normally and 3) if you sell the speakers then the next owner will not have any problems.
However, if you are like me and use a 24db L-R then it gets a little more complicated -- reverse only the bass so the bass and mid are in identical phase(+)and then reverse the treble putting it in (-)phase.

While you are doing all this, if you haven't done so already, take the time to do some other upgrades - namely remove the fuses if you haven't had any problems with clipping or at least replace the fuse holders, replace the Magnepan wires (I suggest magnet wire), and replace the Magnepan steel jacks. And while you are at it think about externalizing and upgrading the internal mid-treble xo.

I may be an egoist but at least I don't talk about other people.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.