Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Quad 2805 on order!

Congrats on your purchase! You have purchased one fine speaker.

I would prefer them on the long wall as your propose. Depending on how close your listening position is to the rear wall of your room, you may experience some bass reinforcement. Your might need to add some absorbing material on the rear wall to eliminate reflections.

The original Quad needs to be energized at all times for best performance. This is not the case with the later Quads ESL63, etc. The coating resistance is low enough that the panels charge instantly when energized. The speaker will reach full performance, i.e. sensitivity within seconds of being energized. It will take your amp, even a solid state amp, longer to settle down than the Quad.

The resistive coating on the newer Quads is carbon based versus the nylon of the original ESL. This coating degrades over time; this takes years if not decades so nothing to worry about. It tends to oxidize or char over the years leaving an ashy sometimes sticky substance on the diaphgraghm. Whether or not leaving the coating bathed in a high voltage field 24/7/365 accelerates this degradation I do not know. Turning them off when not in use certainly does not hurt the speaker or impact the performance and may very well increase the life of the panels.

IMO fancy power cords are a waste of money with the Quads. Others will disagree. I have never heard any power cord or power supply tweak that made any difference with Quads. There are some power supply changes that can be made to the original ESL63 that will improve the stability of the speaker but not the sonics. The 2805 incorporates these circuit changes.

The best test I know to confirm the validity of my statement is to simply unplug the Quads while playing. There will be enough charge in the panels to play for a least a few minutes and make a determination of any change in sonics. You can't really have a more 'pure' power source than the internal charge. I have never heard any difference when 'unplugged' and neither has anyone else that I know. Unplugging them for brief periods while playing will cause no damage to the speaker. Save your money and buy more music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Quad 2805 on order! - kentaja@yahoo.com 07:01:27 11/15/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.