Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Quad 2805 on order!

Thanks to the input from many of you in this forum (special thanks to Kentaja!) I placed my order for a pair of the new Quad 2805's yesterday from Audio Solutions in Indy. I can hardly wait to get them! I have never owned Quads before, much less any electrostatic or panel speaker...have always had dynamic driver speakers.

I've got a couple of newbie questions that maybe you can help me with.

ROOM PLACEMENT: My dedicated listening room is 13' X 16' with a 9' ceiling. I currently use the Audio Physic method of set-up with my speakers on the long wall, about 5' out, 8' apart and I listen in the nearfield. The set-up results in an 8' equilateral triangle such that my ears are 8' from the fronts of the speakers. Will this set-up work with the Quads, or should I consider reorienting my room so the speakers are on the short wall (again about 5' out) and fire down the longer dimension? I know, I know...just try it out in the nearfield first and if it doesn't sound good, then change it! But I had hoped to draw on the considerable experience with Quads in this forum on best set-up before I start moving my equipment rack around.

LEAVE ON: I have searched the archives and it appears that the majority opinion is to leave the speakers turned on except during thunderstorms, vacations, and such. I'm not concerned about the electricity bill, but I am concerned about the potential decay of the panels. Does leaving the speakers on all the time wear on the panels?

POWER CORDS: Again a search of the archives has turned up contradictory opinions here. Some say upgraded power cords do make a difference and others swear they do not. Any latest thinking here?

Thanks all and I'll keep you posted on my experiences.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - Quad 2805 on order! - dneumann 05:12:30 11/15/06 (12)

You can not post to an archived thread.