Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: analysis audio

I own a pair of the Omega speakers from them. They are similar to a Maggie in that they are planar/ribbon hybrids. They differ in that they are all two-ways, have enourmous magnet structures,and are efficient enough for a 50watt SET to drive them (to a level that wont get you kicked out of your apartment). That being said, they, like the Maggies, LOVE big SS amps. The dynamics gained can be mind boggling.

They also have a surround structure on the bass panel, which DOES give them some real kick in the bass. Square inch for square inch, they have the best kick of any panel speaker I have ever heard. They also don't have that "plastic noise" sound that drives me nuts on most stats and Maggies (I was very happy with my Maggies until one day, I "heard" that noise. Since then, I can hear it on most planar speakers. May those of you with Maggies NEVER hear it, once the brain catches on, it will bug you forever. Damn, maybe I shouldn't have said anything....)

The speakers are designed for bi-wiring or bi-amping. I will have to admit that the terminals are not the most convenient things in the world to use.

They bass panel cutoff does overlap the ribbon region a bit, but thats first order for ya. They respond exceedingly well to bi-amping with electronic crossover.

They ship the things in wooden crates, and they are freaking HEAVY. Get help for setup. The big ones, the Amphytrions, are in every way superior to the Omegas...except for ease of setup. Get two strong men for that one.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.