Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Tri-amp options for IIIA

Hi Mike,

I assume you intend to rip out your upgraded mid/ribbon passive crossover, and your external bass/mid passive, and use the 3-way Driverack instead?

If you are, you should get a significant improvement in clarity and "snap" (ie. "dynamicity"!! :-)) ) by going 3-way active and removing all the passive components "in the way" of the amps.

I run my IIIAs, 3-way active, after previously upgrading all the passive crossovers.

I suggest you will get best sound by sticking to the stock slopes - ie:
* bass LP 18dB
* mid HP 12dB
* mid LP 12dB
* ribbon HP 12dB

however, it seems the Driverack gives you the ability to experiment with different slope combinations?

If you'd like to email me, I can suggest some slightly different crossover points to stock, which I think sound better. BTW, you need to ascertain how the Driverack "classifies" filter slopes ... does it use the -3dB point or the -6dB point to set up a crossover?

The reason I ask is that 12 & 24dB L-R filters are always specified by their -6dB point (and so the frequency for the HP is the same as the LP), whereas Butterworth and other filters are normally specified by their -3dB point. It can lead to confusion and the wrong answers if I specify -6dB points and you set up the Driverack to match ... and it's assuming -3dB points!! :-))

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.