Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Bi-amping 1.6

Hi tom,

OK, so you're intending to mod your 1.6 XOs. I'm not intimately familiar with 1.6s (I've got IIIAs, which I run 3-way active) but you can certainly organise the upgrade of your 1.6 XOs so that (as well as replacing the crap stock Magnepan components with high quality components) you can passively bi-amp. So, apart from the cost of the high quality passive compoenents, you need to buy another amp.

An alternative is to bypass or discard the stock passive XO and use an external active crossover. I firmly believe this will give you better sound but, depending on what active XO you buy, it may cost more (you need that second amp but an active XO can cost more than hi-quality caps and coils). But it gives you more, too - particularly a digital XO like the fabulous DEQX (no, I don't own one but I'd love to!! :-)) ).

As far as amp connections and CD player hookup are concerned (I'm assuming here you don't have a preamp):

1. If you are sticking with a passive setup then it goes like this:
CDP --> power amps 1 & 2 (so you need parallel outputs from the CDP) --> the passive XOs.

2. If you go active then:
CDP --> active XO --> power amps 1 & 2 --> Maggie drivers, directly (no passive XOs).

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Bi-amping 1.6 - andyr 02:43:57 11/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.