Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I've got MG-20s in 15 by 19 foot (4.5 by 5.8 meter) room

I have them turned sideways across the shorter dimension so they face away from each other, and the centers of the bass panels are in the Cardas positions. The sound-stage is nice at my listening position (at a vertex of an equilateral triangle with the tweeters), but the room width is close to twice the ceiling height, so there is a bass null down the center.

If you try this in a smaller room with the speakers on a long wall, you may not be able to sit far enough back to get a good stereo image without having too much bass reflected by the wall behind you.

SoundLabs are virtual line sources as long as there is space or adequate diffusion behind them. The focus points of the curved panels should be in open air or have appropriate treatment.

SoundLabs have high reactive impedance in the bass as long as you don't saturate the step-up transformers. Maggies are uniformly resistive loads. Either speaker will reveal the shortcomings in whatever amplifiers you have. The SoundLabs are considered difficult loads because of the capacitance (some amps will oscillate, while some others will get soggy from the low treble impedance), while the Maggies are power hogs and will suffer from damaged tweeters if the amps clip.

Unless you have superb and compatible amplifiers, the challenge of fitting oversized speakers into a small room may not result in acceptable sound no matter how successful you are.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I've got MG-20s in 15 by 19 foot (4.5 by 5.8 meter) room - Al Sekela 12:58:08 11/08/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.