Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Great post Mark!

Innersound does not make the Eros and Kaya at this time, as far as I know. If you ever buy a used set, the best is to go with a MKIII Eros, as they have the arc-proof panels (also, the best crossover amp, that or the Kaya.) If you do end up going with an earlier model, I believe that Roger Sanders is now offering repairs on earlier Innersound products, so I'm sure he could repair a MKI or MKII panel that arcs. Still, the MKIII is the one with the panels that will stay in for the long haul. A friend of mine that worked for Innersound told me that onetime Roger demonstrated that he could mist a MKIII panel with a spray bottle and then play music. Try that with other stats! (but, seriously, DON"T try that with other electrostats.) The MKIII panels also repel dust, instead of attracting it.

As far as speaker wire goes, the Risch DIY Belden design, while nice on regular dynamic speakers, rolled off the highs a bit, so I sold 'em. You see, low INDUCTANCE is the most important aspect of cables to use with stats (which act like a big capacitor), one of the reasons I loved Goertz when I had Quads, and one I first got the Innersound. However, the Goertz (and CAT 5, etc) has super high capactitance, and the Innersound amp I have (great amp for stats!), while it is peachy driving difficult loads, should not have high capacitance cables used with it (oscillation.) This ruled out the Goertz (and, no, I'm not going to risk trashing the amp, so I won't even bother trying Goertz with a Zoebel. When my tube amp comes back from repair, then maybe I'll try Goertz again, along with Paul Speltz's Zero autoformers, as the dip below 2 ohms in the highs on the Eros will cause just about any tube amp to sound rolled off.)

What have I settled on for now? Mogami coax. I can tell you more off this forum. It's only 69 cents a foot, though I had to hunt for it (a pro audio place in Utah carries it.) The only thing I've tried that mabye bettered it a little was a borrowed pair of Synergistic Research cables (a pair of twisted large guage coax cables, not crossconnected, with an active sheild.) Sure, in theory the "bad" dielectric of the Mogami (PVC) should not sound as good as the teflon in the Belden 89259 recipie, but 'twas not the case. The Mogami coax did not roll off the highs like the cross-connected Belden. In other words, things went according to Roger Sander's observations about speaker cables for 'stats in his white paper.

So don't believe those who know nothing about electrostats and the weirdo load they presenet to amps who suggest you buy some expensive cables 'cause they sounded good on their Wilsons (ugh) or other dynamic speaker. Many highend cables out there do not have the parameters to drive electrostats without frequency anomolies. Then again, many people might like that ("Gee, this cable sounds warm." Uh, that's because it's rolling off the highs!) I'm not saying that there are not some, um, "expensive" cables out there that will sound good on stats, just that if a cable is pricey and has "exotic" materials, it may not sound good on stats. Also, many people who are Maggie or ribbon owners have made recmendations of cables, but, again, Maggies and Ribbons ARE NOT electrostats, and a cable that may sound good on, say, a Magnepan 3.6 (nice speaker when I got to hear one once), may not sound as good on a stat.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.