Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: smg-a crossover mods?

There's been a few differences of opinion over the SMGa parallel resistor, but it seems to me that, looking at the circuit diagram, the resistor is there to ensure that if the fuse blows it doesn't cut the treble signal completely but allows it to pass through the resistor - thus avoiding potentially damaging the amplifier. This would seem to be confirmed by those who have blown their fuses experiencing a "much reduced" treble rather than none at all. As Peter G says, if you're going to lose the fuse then lose the resistor as well, since it will obviously have no part to play any more.

As for replacements for the crossover components, well take your pick - discussion on this topic has been rife over the past few years. For what it's worth (as the SMGa is in the upper mid-range price-wise) I decided not to go too overboard with top-end components and chose Solen caps (chateauroux) and Madisound Sledgehammer inductors (they can custom wind them to get the exact inductance)- the bass is definitely enhanced by these. However Peter G is fast approaching God-like status in the matter of SMGs refurbishment and enhancement so certainly worth taking notice of his recommendations.

Do bear in mind that any modification to the crossover components is likely to result in them not fitting within the frame of the speakers, so it will be necessary also to fabricate either a larger container or a separate box (as with the MGIIIas for example) to go behind the speaker. For me this was the most difficult and time consuming part of the process.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: smg-a crossover mods? - Ian Weitzel 02:02:35 11/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.