Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Make your Maggies the best they can be...

This can be a fun journey. you're working with a pretty small room, relatively speaking. So I don't think you need tons of power for your second amp. You'll find lots of discussion about matching the amps and all, but let your ears be your guide. Some claim to hear discontinuity between amps that are not matched. others claim that it is best to have an amp optimized to the task -- delicate and accurate for the treble, and strong/powerful and rhythmiccally solid for the bass panels.

My experience was that I preferred the sound with tube amplification. That meant getting a strong tube amp for the bass panel and another less strong one for the tweeter panel. I worked with Davey (Dave Reit) who helped me design and build my crossover based on the Linkwitz Labs MT1 board. This is a cheap and good way to get active crossovers that exactly match the stock internal X/O in characteristics.

The only scary part was lifting the socks on the Maggies to attach new hookup wires directly to the speaker elements. Some put in Cardas or other high quality speaker terminals, while others bypass everything and hook the drivers directly to the amps (bypassing the fuse too). This is what I did.

The end result of this was a spectacular improvement in sound. I've no intention of reverting to stock, although I left my crossovers in place so I could easily return to stock in case I want to sell the speakers sometime. Little chance of that. I'm too happy with the result.

By the way, I recently got Mye stands myself. That too gets a rave review.

Just drop a line if you'd like specifics or help or advice

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Make your Maggies the best they can be... - CometCKO 19:04:22 11/01/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.